Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Patron

They sat in row H.
Both in black, her red scarf matched the red stripes of his tie.
They looked comfortably married, like typical Opera patrons. 
Nearly all patron wives wear black dresses and bright scarves.
Nearly all patron husbands wear a tie and pin stripped pants. 
What would it be like to spend such evenings, dining on rooftops and drinking decaf coffee together? 

I sat in row G, very close to the orchestra. With goose bumps, I listened to soaring music with Alina and Crystal. In one song, love is found. In the next, the star crossed lovers are threatened with death or jealousy. In the next, one dies needlessly, but all for the dramatic sake of temporary passion. The lovers die for each other without ever realizing what it means to love for a lifetime. 

I am sure the thrill of such dangerous romance would cause me to soar. But honestly, I would prefer a love story not absolved in untimely death. The quiet daily life of building dreams together, following God in the big and small moments... these are all qualities I would sing in French about. 

In reference to the lovers in the Opera Lakme-
Me: "When did they ever have time to discuss newly wed budgets? Or what brand of microwave popcorn is preferred?"

Crystal: "If the gods want them to be together, I am sure they already like the same brand." 

No comments: